Monday, July 26, 2010

Brown Rice Pasta Pudding ~ A twist to traditional paal kozhukattai


Months back, I was following the diet plan from whole living's website. One of the rule in that plan is to have a gluten-free but whole-grain meal. Since I was not fond of eating cooked brown rice, I searched for the alternatives until I found this rice based pasta. I was so excited to try it out and I immediately made my favorite pasta salad with brown rice pasta but my taste buds were reminding me something else when I ate that. That's when my little one pointed out that it tasted like a "kozhukattai" - an India based traditional steamed rice dumplings. Voila, a new idea clicked in my mind when I no longer want to eat a salad version of that pasta. Thats how this sweet tingling recipe was born.

Brown rice pasta - 1 cup
Milk - 1 cup
Water - 2 cups
Jaggery/Sugar - 1 cup
Cardamom - 6
Grated coconut - 1/4 cup
Sliced Almonds/Pistachios/Cashews - 2 tbsp
Salt

Add pasta to boiling water and add salt. Since it is a rice pasta, stir occasionally to avoid pasta from sticking in the bottom. Cook for 15 minutes and then add milk to the pasta ( Don't drain pasta water). Continue cooking for 5 minutes. Meanwhile make the jaggery/sugar syrup by boiling jaggery/sugar with cardamom (pounded) and 1/4 cup of water for 5 minutes. Filter the jaggery syrup and add it along with grated coconut to the pasta mixture and simmer it for another 4 - 5 minutes. Switch off and serve it warm in a bowl with sliced nuts on top.

Brown Rice Pudding


I hope you love this healthier version as I do.

Note: I used organic version of Tinkyada pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment